11 July 2015

'Serial' Obsession.

We have all seen our mothers, aunts, sisters, and friends crazy for their favourite TV series. Almost of the elder ladies we know watch Indian soaps: the ubiquitous saas-bahu dramas, the one-good-lady-pitted-against-the-world types, besides a few other varieties. 
Now I'd like you to take a moment to recall the times you've joked, even mocked them for their obsession with these shows. I'm sure there have been times when you've shaken your head in disbelief at how deeply they relate, empathize, love, or hate the characters. They revel in their joy and cry with them in their times of despair. They cheer for them in their difficult times and curse in disgust for the evil character who is making their favourite heroine's life miserable. I could go on describing the relationship they have with these characters, but you get my drift, I think.
Now, here's a confession, and an apology: I now 'get' how they feel, and so I'd just like to say I'm sorry for all the mocking I've inflicted and potentially disrespectful things I might have said in the process.
So what bolt-of-wisdom-from-the-blue just caused this change of heart? Well, it's simply an observation that I too am very attached to the 'serials' that I watch. My list of favourite shows is quite different, though (but I don't mean to say superior in any way). The list isn't very long either. I'll only name Grey's Anatomy (on Zee Cafe, btw) here. There, I said it! 
I'm very fond of the characters, too. I know a lot about them, feel terrible when they get into trouble, cheer for them when they are down, and (almost) cry tears of joy when they pull through (I know, right! :-D Who would've guessed!). So no, I have no right to make fun of all the ladies who watch their special shows. They can relate to the characters and stories too, and hence their love and/or hate for them, and that's that.

That's all I had to say for now.

Thanks for reading,
Aashish.

No comments:

Post a Comment